Friday, February 23, 2018

My Current Nighttime Routine

Hello everyone!

This week I wanted to do something a little bit different!  I've always been focused a lot on beauty, but I've found that I actually enjoy writing about things going on in my life more! It feels like it's more what I do on a regular basis.  Surprisingly, I don't wear makeup very often!

I've never set up a routine for myself until this year, and I do have to say I enjoy it!  It's nice to be able to look forward to something at the end of the night, no matter what my day was like. I've been a little lax about following it to a T, so I think I'm going to work harder at keeping myself on track with using it!

I typically start my routine at about 10:00pm.  To some people, this is super early, and to others they're already asleep - if you're interested in using a similar routine, make it work for you!  I have found that I want to be in bed ready to sleep at 11:00, so starting it an hour before usually works pretty well.  Before I start, I always have my Christmas lights on instead of the harsh overhead light to give a more relaxing ambience to my room.  This is totally optional, but something I really love!  This is also the time where I shut down my computer for the night.

 1. Skincare
The first thing I do is head into the bathroom to do my skincare routine.  I start with a cleanser that requires wetting my face, rubbing it in, and then washing it off. This helps me feel like my face is fresh and clean!  I then move on to my serum, my eye cream, and my moisturizer. Typically, I like a thicker cream moisturizer that will sink in and really feel hydrating.

I have combination skin, so this routine is what helps me feel like I'm on the right track with taking care of it properly.  If you have your own routine that works, use it!  It all depends on what feels like it's working best for you!  While doing all this, I also like to have either the Podcast episode I'm listening to or a playlist on Spotify going so I have something to listen to as I go through the motions.

2. Planning & Reflecting
After I finish my skincare, I brush my teeth and then head back into my room!  This is usually around 10:15, but it could be more or less time.  Once I get back to my room, I like to grab my planner & journal out.

Usually, I plan my next day out first.  I migrate any tasks I didn't complete to tomorrow, and write out my schedule. I have also been including a daily goal lately! As you can see, I have a planner with a page for each day that lists the times along the side & has the notes section where I put my to-dos. I bought mine from Target, but when I looked online I couldn't find the same style.  If you love it, I would suggest going to the store and looking!  It's a Blue Sky planner.  I personally think this style of planner works best for me, as I can have a visual of what's going on in my day.  I've tried so many types of planners, and this is the one I always come back to.

After I finish filling out my plans for the next day, I move on to my journal.  In January, I tried to just write about what happened and how I felt, but this didn't feel like something I was really utilizing and wasn't helpful for me. Instead, I have a small list of different prompts that I like to use to talk about my day.  These include things like my mood, highlights of my day, productivity, daily gratitude, random thoughts, something I really loved, anything!  It's whatever I feel like putting down.  I also like to write a small blurb about anything big that happened that day, or expand on my mood at the bottom.  I didn't show a complete page since I don't necessarily want to share my innermost thoughts!

On Sunday, I look at my assignment planner and write down everything that needs to be finished in the coming week.  If you're not in school, you can skip this step, or you can write your weekly goals down, have a to-do list without deadlines, etc., and write down all of the things due for the week ahead on a separate piece of paper.  I actually do this because I don't like writing due dates in my daily planner!  Since I plan one day in advance, I'd rather see an overall weekly view and get my assignments done before they're due.

 3. Reading & Unwinding
Planning and reflecting can take anywhere from 15-30 minutes, depending on how focused I am and how much I have to write.  After I finish all of that, it's time for me to kick back and relax until I fall asleep.  I usually try to read whatever book I'm currently on, but sometimes I play games on my phone or check Instagram. It's really free time for me to do anything I feel like!

Well, that's my night!  This is always a work in progress, but I enjoy being able to know exactly what I can expect out of my night and enjoy the ritual that comes with that. 

Do you have a nightly routine? What do you look forward to before bed? Let me know!









No comments:

Post a Comment